What is XChat you might be wondering. if your new. Is an IRC chat medium for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- IRC: Internet Relay Chat. is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing.
- Open up Bash (Terminal)
- type in (sudo apt-get install xchat) it should look like this "david@david-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install xchat"
- The terminal will then search the repository's for xchat. It will ask you if you want to confirm the changes.
- Once is is done installing. Press "Applications" Then goto the internet tab, and find XChat on the list.
- Once it pops up there will be 2 windows. Onw with a bunch of text boxes such as "nick name," "server name" etc. etc
- Press Connect. Then in the other window. In the text box at the buttom type in "/server irc.wyldryde.org" A window will pop up, asking you to join a channel. click ok.
Breaking down Step 6. so you can understand it.
- /server: tells the client, what server you want to join
- irc.wyldryde.org: the name of the server that you want to connect to.
7. Then type in "/join #blogger 12345"
Breaking down step 7. so you can understand it.
- /join: tells the server you want to join a server
- #blogger: the hash is to tell the /join command that this is the channel you want to join. #blogger is my private channel. Come join it any time. #ubuntu is a different channel. Not mine. (Unfortunately)
- 12345: What ever you type after the channel. The command will read it as the channel password.
Once you have joined the server you will be labeled as "Unidentified9237492" or some random number.
to change your name type in "/nick whatever" this will change your name to what ever you set it as.
To the right of the XChat window you will see a list of users.
Those are who else is in the room.
I hope this has helped you basics know how to reach me at anytime.
Comment and let me know what to teach on the next post.